Where Women Wait

 Female sex workers are paid by the job, not by the hour. They earn no money without a single session even if they come to the workplace.

 With reservations, they don’t have to wait. If not, they have to wait until someone chooses them or staff give them nomination-free gigs.

 They can do few things in order to attract customers.

 One of the means is “shame-nikki” or photo diary. It’s a jargon in Japan’s sex industry. In other words, it’s a simplified blog posted using cell phones. It helps to a degree.

 It hardly works just by writing “I’ve shown up now!,” which many do. It’s about something sexual anyway. Femininity or sexuality makes bigger differences here.

 It could be a really effective tool. I know a girl whose diary enjoyed the top fifth popularity in the Kanagawa Prefecture, next to Tokyo. Honestly, she was not that cute but made a fair amount of money.

 Another means is communication. Many female workers exchange e-mail addresses or phone numbers with repeat customers. It’s a part of their job to communicate with them to make them want to see them again.

 Just asking them to come again doesn’t work. It depends on each women. Maybe it’s something they know by nature.


1 Without reservations, female sex workers have to wait first by doing the above, or just by hanging around at certain places.

 The places vary from club to club.

 At soapland or hakoheru, which have private rooms, they wait or rest in their own rooms.

 The soap clubs come with a whole building. Many of them have a room only for women. They can stay in their own one, and they can come to the public space. It’s up to them.

 Most of hoteheru clubs have a standby room. They have front desks. About 80 percent of them have the rooms and the desks at the same place. The other 20 percent have them at different places. It could be another floor or property. Communication is done via chat or phone.

 The shop I worked at for the first time in my life had two front desks. Both of them were located in downtown areas, and were rooms of apartment buildings. The ready room was in a different apartment. The interior looked like ordinary houses. It had dining and shower rooms. When customers visited the front desk and deals were done, messages arrived by way of Skype. The stationed staff told women about it, and they took care of all the rest.

 It’s more pleasant for staff when women rest far away from front desks, because conversations between clerks and customers often sound uncomfortable to them.

 Some women are not worth recommending. Nobody feels happy to learn that receptionists don’t recommend them when they’re impatient of free time. Most of all, staff feel awkward in such situations.

 Many deriheru has no such rooms in the first place. That’s true of smaller clubs. Women could wait at home, cafes or anywhere else. Everyone has cell phones, so there’s no trouble with communication. You don’t have to pay any rent. They can travel by taxi or train. It’s really reasonable.


 Ready rooms could be one big room or partitioned into private cubicles.

 I haven’t seen the private type many times. I think it’s in the minority. It takes a lot of effort and money to construct such rooms. At most sex establishments, women hang around in a single room when they wait.

 Here come issues of how to treat female workers.

 One thing to remember is that stupidity go the rounds.

 Compared to men, women excel in capacity to empathize. They love chatting to the extent that men think they’re insane.

 There are some women who staff don’t want others to hand around with.

 It’s important to watch them when they’re free. Staff need to know who are talking with whom to contain bad influence. They often cut into conversations or find reasons to make them away from one another.

 Another thing is female workers who are waiting too long.

 They’re there to work. They want to make money. They can’t make it just by sitting down.

 Waiting itself causes stress. They often complain that it exhausts them the most.

 They have pride. They can’t help comparing themselves with others.

 When they’re waiting in a ready room, it’s easy to know someone else get sessions. Now she’s got a job. Why not me? Am I not popular? Did I say something bad to staff? They hate me? … They tend to think like that.

 The only solution is to keep them working as long and as often as possible.

 On the other hand, that doesn’t mean that treating everyone equally doesn’t work. Staff have to give more priority to popular or new women, and less to unpopular ones and so on.

 Such decisions are an important part of the sex business.

Share on FacebookTweet about this on TwitterShare on Google+Share on RedditShare on StumbleUponPin on PinterestShare on TumblrShare on LinkedInDigg thisEmail this to someone
Bookmark the permalink.

Comments are closed